Note: This page was initially written back in 2016. I have been tutoring online for well over 6 years, and it’s hard to believe it now, but back then I had to convince parents that online tuition was a viable option. I was an early adopter of the format, which meant that when COVID hit, and professionals across all industries had to scramble to move their work online, I was well prepared. The format of my online lessons has been refined over the years and is not just a result of quickly throwing something together once the pandemic hit.
I am currently available to tutor face-to-face students in South Manchester, but the vast majority of my tutoring is online.
What is online tuition?
Online tuition is a way that tutors can teach students no matter their location! I personally use Skype and an online whiteboard that lets both me and the student see what the other is writing in real time. While this concept seems new to most parents, this is easily as effective as face-to-face tuition, and my students agree!
What are the benefits of online tuition?
- It doesn’t matter where you are. Time and time again I have been contacted by students that live in areas that simply don’t have any tutors, and they have been amazed by how easy it now is for them to get high quality one-on-one teaching. This means I’ve been able to help out students from small towns in England to students on the other side of the world!
- Price. As there is no travel involved, I can reduce the price of my lessons, directly passing the savings on to parents. All with no loss in the quality of the lesson!
- I can always tutor. I do a lot of travelling, but because of online tuition, as long as I have my laptop I can tutor from wherever I am in the world and never miss a lesson. You can be sure that I will always be available for the time that we have planned the lesson for, and if you need any last minute revision sessions I’ll be there. This works both ways: If a student is going on holiday and doesn’t want to miss a lesson they no longer have to!
- A lot of possibilities are opened up with timetables. Students can have a lesson in their homework time, their free periods if they are in sixth form, or whenever else they like! It is no longer limited to just the traditional after school lesson.
- Students can choose the best possible tutor. Students now aren’t limited to the tutors in their area, and don’t have to settle for a mediocre tutor just because they live close to them. They can choose exactly the right person for their needs, wherever they are in the world.
- Punctuality. While tutors and students do their best to get to lessons on time, there are external factors at play that are uncontrollable, like traffic. With online tutoring this completely vanishes and its easy to be on time for the lesson 100% of the time.
- Lessons can be spread out evenly. Previously, due to travel, if a student wanted multiple hours tutoring I would have to batch them together to decrease travel time. Now instead of doing one marathon session I can split them up into bitesize sessions which have been proven to be more effective for students.
- The student is more relaxed. During face-to-face tuition, some students feel the pressure of someone watching over them while they work. With online tuition, if needed the student can have a pad of paper with them for rough work and only write on the whiteboard when they are confident with what they have done.
Price: £150 per hour. I take payment via bank transfer.